8.20.2013

the most puzzling paradox

perhaps the greatest mystery, most puzzling paradox.

God in flesh stoops to knees. He fills wash basin and cups dirt-caked heels in hands. the feet of his traitors, his forsakers, his friends. He rinses and scrubs. their dirt He takes on.

God in flesh falls to knees. His body, He breaks--blood, spills. cups sin-stained hearts in pierced-through hands. rinses and scrubs hearts of traitors, forsakers, enemies, rivals, and dearly-loved children. their sin He takes on.

and He tells me to follow.

"you, the servant, think you're something else. you, like all of your race, long to be served. but you're not above me, your master. so if I kneel, if I serve, if I wash, if I stoop, if I break, if I enter the mess--so do you."

and this is my life purpose in simple terms of bruised knees and wrinkled hands and big heart that follow the way of Jesus.

and as I pour out, and lap up the water, making messes but refreshing souls, Jesus promises to tend to me. He'll still pour water, like grace, over my weary soul and trail-worn feet.
"There is always enough God. He has no end. He calls us to serve, and it is Him whom we serve, but He, very God, kneels down to serve us as we serve. The servant-hearted never serve alone.
"Spend the whole of your one wild and beautiful life investing in many lives, and God simply will not be outdone. God extravagantly pays back everything we give away and exactly in the currency that is not of this world but the one we yearn for: joy in Him."

- Ann Voskamp
When Jesus commissions us--"wash each other's feet. serve each other as I serve you."--He puts our service in the context of the gospel. just as He stopped low and entered humanity and washed feet and died underserving, we stoop low, serve the ungrateful and underserving, give grace free and full. and those actions become the gospel script, the echoes and reverberations of God's grace to a dying and broken world.

Jesus doesn't call for more manners, for more polite gestures. He breaks the social barriers, goes against the tide of cultural coldness and lack of compassion, and calls us to lowliness, in convenience, and self-crucifixion.

Love is the laying down of LIFE.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post, Lauren! Reminds me of this:

    “How may I glorify You?”
    I asked Him
    I explained my ideas
    demonstrated my talents
    listed my many accomplishments
    gathered before Him and displayed with a flourish
    the riches I had worked hard to earn
    named all my trusted friends
    and waited for His reply

    “Follow Me,”
    was all He said

    “Follow You?”
    I asked
    “Leave my heavenly abode to become a servant?
    Surrender of my gifts that I might love?
    Traverse this earth unrecognized, unknown?
    Give of all I have painfully earned without merit?
    Speak the truth until all betray?
    Walk as You walked?”

    I looked at all I possessed—the loss, it was death!
    but then I looked to Him, and knew—to glorify, to love, to know Him;
    it is death that I might live!
    -To Venture All by I.E. Kingsley

    ReplyDelete